Sunday, November 22, 2009

Their Preferences #3

1. Do you know of any favorite poems they had?
2. What was their favorite food and how did they prepare it? Or what was your favorite food that they made?
3. What kind of games did they enjoy playing?
4. Did they have a favorite painting or artist?
5. What was their favorite dessert?

"I remember Grandma loved the poem "Master's Hand"."
-Dave

"My mom had memorized and quoted so many poems it is hard to know what her favorite might have been. I know she really liked the poem, “The Ancient Mariner”, plus “Invictus”. I only remember the last few lines of Invictus,
It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the Master of my fate,
I am the Captain of my soul.

They are both beautiful thought provoking poems. You’ll all have to look them up. I know the “Ancient Mariner” is a really long one and as you read it remember that your grandmother had it memorized.

When I was chewing gum her favorite poem was:
A girl chewing gum and a cud chewing cow,
They seem quite the same but different somehow?
I know, it’s the intelligent look on the face of the cow."
-Eileen

"Kori helped me remember another poem/verse mom loved to quote:
Patience is a virtue, catch it if you can.
It’s seldom found in woman, and never found in man!"
-Eileen

"Word’s of wisdom from my dad:

If you put it together, it goes together.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let someone think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

If you don’t have anything good to say about some, don’t say anything at all."
-Eileen

"Mom was always quoting poems but I have no idea what her favorite may have been. I neverr heard dad recite a poem or do I have any idea if he had one.

Dad liked meat and potatos and hated rice. He liked liver and onions and creamed corn and canned peas in a white sauce, probably because he had lost so many teeth. Bread and milk was a treat for dad. Mother like pop corn and mince meat pie and raisen pie. She liked fruit nut cake or what ever the cake is with the disgusting tasteless fruit in it. Mom seemed to like sweets and dad didn't. He would take the icing off from cake. I learned to like liver and onions and have always liked meat and potatoes. I hated creamed corn and peas in white sauce. I did like mom's kidney beans and ham.

I don't recall playing a lot of games as a family. Mom taught us "kick the can" and "ante I over". We taught our selves to ride the calves and got in a lot of trouble for it.

I don't know that either of them had a favorite artist but mother treasured the painting she had of "Old Chief Mountain". She always said it was in Canada but when I went up there I found out it is actually in the U.S."
-Marvin

"1. Grandma loved poetry in general but I agree with Dave that "Master's Hand" and "Footprints" were some favorites.
2. I remember grandma and grandpa being "meat and potatoes" fans. I remember running to the old cellar in the ground in the back yard to get potatoes for grandma. My favorite thing grandma made would have to be the homeade bread. I loved eating a piece of it right out of the oven with lot's of melted butter on top.Grandma was very good at storing food and one of the items I got when things were being divided up was cans and cans of Nacho Cheese Campbell's soup. It wasn't really soup just Nacho Cheese. I got many can's of this and greatly appreciated it because at the time I was a starving college student. I still think of grandma to this day whenever I see nacho cheese.
3. Grandma was very competitive and grandpa would do whatever grandma did. I played Yahtzee a lot with them when I was younger and noticed several times grandpa would cheat to let grandma win. I used to think, now that is love. What a sweet grandpa we have.
4. I'm not sure on this one.
5. I'm not sure it was a favorite but we had cake and ice cream many times while at their house. I don't remember grandpa eating much as far as dessert because of his sugar intolerence. I know he wasn't diabetic but he had issues with sugar. I also remember getting Nilla Wafers when visiting great Grandma and Grandpa Kunz."
-Kori

1 comment:

  1. Dried bananas! I loved when Grandma would send me home with a bag of dried bananas.

    ReplyDelete