Saturday, July 3, 2010

Happy 99th Birthday Grandpa!

“Although I know my dad was not perfect. As I look back and try to compare myself with him it seems like he was very close. I don't recall him ever saying anything bad about anyone or being disrespectful of anyone. Unlike his oldest son who as of late seems to have made it his life quest. Well so much for that.

Dad was a hard working, unpretensious person. He always seemed to find time to help who ever was in need of help at anytime day or night. He could do almost anything especially if it was mechanical. His building skills, although sometimes not pretty, were functional. I owe much of what I have learned in my life to him. Especially later in life if I needed to talk to someone he would always have time to listen. He seldom had a lot to say but his wisdom was profound.

He always seemed to look for the good in people and trusted them to do the same. Sometimes because of that he was taken advantage of.

With having stayed so close to home all my life I have come in contact with a lot of people who knew Dad. I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't admired and respected him.

I hope that someday I can do better at following his example.”
-Son Marvin

"Though you'll never find his name in any history books or any of his inventions in a museum, Ivan was an inventor extraordinaire. I never realized it as a child but as I got older I have marveled at some of the tasks that he accomplished with basically nothing. In order to do his farming he built a tractor using old car and truck parts and some how made it all work.

I remember a Fathers and Sons outing when it was planned to have a treat of ice cream sandwiches for everyone after lunch the second day. The concern was how to keep it cold that long. So dad made up a wooden box to put the sandwiches in with dry ice as the cooling device. I remember hearing someone ask him "are you sure they are still cold? It's been awfully hot last night and this morning." Dad very calmly assured him of the fact that they were cold. When lunch was over the box was opened up and the very top layer of sandwiches was about like you would expect them to be as you walked out of a store. Each layer below that was harder and more solidly frozen. When the man who had been so concerned got one off the bottom layer he commented that he would have to leave his in the sun to thaw before he could eat it with his dentures.

Those are just a small sampling of his inventions that still amaze me today."

-Son Richard



“Grandpa was an amazing man. He was a hard worker and had an amazing work ethic. In fact, I wonder if he ever stopped working at all. He served others without question and without being asked. He was thoughtful, kind, admirable, strong, smart, etc. Grandpa could do it all. It didn't matter what broke he could fix it. He could build anything out of anything. He was a great example to me when it came to the gospel. He was quiet so we didn't hear much from him but with a family like the Kunz's who can get a word in anyway. He was an amazing listener and would bend over backward to help anyone.

One a my most favorite memories was when I was younger. We had borrowed grandma and grandpa's truck and camper to go on a camp out. I think we made it to Spanish Fork and the truck died. It was hot out and I remember thinking we were in big trouble. But we were able to get ahold of Grandpa and within a short time he appeared to fix the truck. I remember thinking he was our knight in shining armor and I loved him dearly for coming to the rescue.

To sum it up he was a great, outstanding man, and I am so grateful to have him as my grandfather, my life is better because of him.”
-Granddaughter Kori

“My best memory of grandpa was actually my last one. I had just got home from my mission and we were down in Utah visiting the family and I could tell he was sick. I went over to talk to him in the bed he was in and we started talking about my mission and life in general. While we were talking, he asked me what my plans are and I kind of gave vague general answers and he looked at me and said something to the effect of Brian, you aren't going to get anywhere if you don't have a plan. I want you to go home tonight and start coming up with a plan for where you want your life to be. Pray about it and make sure it is the right plan and then go out and do it. You need to grow up and face the responsibilities that await you. It really put me into gear as far as my education and everything else.
- Grandson Brian

“Since you are doing this in honor of Grandpa's 99th birthday, I though I would share my feelings about his birthday. As most of you know, Tammy and I were born on the 24th of July and Grandpa's birthday being just before the 4th gave the family an excuse to really celebrate during the month of July. I remember everyone getting together and eating a lot of food and
having the best time. Grandpa didn't like a lot of attention, but he loved all the family being together. Because of the wonderful birthday celebrations we had in July, I would have to say that my birthday is my favorite holiday. I enjoy it more than Christmas. There isn't a lot of
pressure to decorate or get gifts, just time to spend with the ones you love. In fact, when I was quite young, I couldn't figure out why some people didn't get to have fireworks on their birthday like we all did.

Grandpa was always so kind and patient with me and my sisters. We spent a lot of time at Grandma & Grandpa's house when I was young. I was a little bit afraid of Grandma because she would yell at me just like she would her own kids, but Grandpa never yelled. I would follow him around the yard and the garage and ask all sorts of stupid questions and was probably very annoying, but he would patiently explain things to me and just keep on working. After I got married and lived a short distance form their house so I would take my kids over to visit or help Grandma out with some things and Ray would follow Grandpa around and help him with his little projects. He was a great example and teacher to everyone he came in contact with.

I am grateful that I was fortunate enough to have a great relationship with both Grandpa and Grandma. So many people in my neighborhood knew them and think highly of them. I can only hope that I can be as good of a Grandparent as they were.”
Granddaughter-Sandra

“I remember being at Grandpa and Grandma's one time and playing out in the irrigation water that flooded the yard. I had a watch on (back in the days before most were waterproof) and I think it was new because when I looked at it and saw a drop of water in the display rather than the time, my heart was broken. I probably went inside crying and Grandpa told me to give it to him so he could see if he could fix it. He took it all apart and dried it as best as he could and left it to finish drying. He told me that he would put it back together when it had had a while to be all dried out. When he did so it worked again! I remember that he was my hero for that!

I remember that when I was transitioning from wanting to play with the kids to wanting to be with the adults, I was sitting in their front room and the uncles and aunts were talking. Grandma was in her rocking chair and grandpa on the couch. I think that whenever I saw grandpa he was either dosing off (or downright sleeping) or he was smiling. I remember looking over at him and he was sitting there smiling. (Of course someone may have just woken him up from a little cat nap . . . who knows!) I remember him being gentle and loving, happy and kind.”
-Granddaughter Cheryl

"I don't remember a whole lot of time I spent with Grandpa, and as I get older I wish I had spent more time with him. My best memory of him was when he and Grandma came to Oregon to visit. He was so bored without work to do that he asked my mom if there were any projects she needed my dad to do. He ended up building us the best food storage shelves in the garage.

I also recall my parents telling me that he was very worried about us having enough help when we moved to Oregon and so he offered to drive out with us and told my parents he'd just hitch hike back. They made certain he knew they'd be fine because they didn't think it would be safe for him to hitch hike.

Grandpa really was a very hard worker and always willing to help others. All of the memories I can think of involve him helping our family and I am sure we are not the only ones who received his help. I recall my dad getting a lot of help from Grandpa as they finished the basement and put in our fence when we lived in Orem. I'm so proud to be among his posterity." -Granddaughter Marlies

1 comment:

  1. Hey Marlies and Family! This is a great idea for a blog! I found out a lot of little things that I didn't know about Grandpa Kunz. My kids and I don't have any memories of him except for what Chad and his family tell us, so this was really fun to read! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete