Monday, January 25, 2010

Memories Week #2

1. Do you know of a favorite stuffed animal or toy as a child they had? (I'd be amazed if you do know about this)
2. Tell about some of your neighbors in different stages of your life & their life.
3. What is a special smell you remember from your childhood or your parents?
4. Tell of when they did something special for someone else.
5. What was their greatest joy? What was their greatest sorrow?

"Don’t know about stuffed animals or toys, but I do remember mom talking a lot about their horse Old Floss. I don’t recall dad ever talking about pets or anything like that. I know he didn’t like hearing me bawl all night after a pet was killed on 7th east. He would vow I could never have another pet, but it wasn’t long ‘til I did. I do remember mom telling that dad’s first car he called ‘Shasta’, cause she-asta have gas and she-hasta have oil.

With having Uncles and Aunts on both sides of us and since Ivan Frandsen was such a good neighbor and a good friend of dad’s I thought he was an uncle too, and I used to call him Uncle Frandsen, cause I didn’t know his first name. I think they used to get a kick out of it, because they never corrected me. Now I think of the odds having two Ivan’s living so close to each other. The Frandsen’s and Setterberg’s were always the names you heard the most around home of the neighbors, except of course the aunts and uncles. Of course down the street were the Favatella’s (not sure how to spell that one) and of course Stevens. The Olivaries were the ones who owned Cy’s produce and they were good friends of moms. Mom went there for produce and other items all the time. I think she liked it because it was close enough she could send us to just pick up a few things for her. In those days 7th east wasn’t the busy street it is now.

Bread cooking in the oven or cinnamon rolls…..yum!!! Those were the nice one. We also smelled a lot of barnyard. Sometimes the coral could be pretty ripe. One smell I always loved was the smell right after a summer rain. With all the bare dirt all around it just smelled so good after it rained. I don’t get to smell it much now days.

I know they did a lot of helping others, but I can’t recall a specific incidence. I know when the chapel was built dad donated a lot of time to the building of it. They also were the kind of people that would do things to be known of men. They would serve not wanting recognition. Especially dad.

I think we kids were their greatest joys. I remember dad always saying we were an improvement on the old stock. Their greatest sorrows would go along that line; when we weren’t living up to our potential. Things could come and go but family was of the greatest importance to them."
-Eileen

No comments:

Post a Comment